I survived the first week of University. I can honestly say that I think I am going to like it here. Other than the giant malfunction that is Guelph-Humber registration I have no complaints. Please don't get me wrong, the school was very informative during orientations. I learnt a lot about my new surroundings, and the lovely employees at the registration (or any of the offices) gladly tell me were I should be and that the three offices I was told to visit before were clearly not informed of the situation at hand. However, even after all of my question asking and prying (how many teeth do I have to pull here?) I still remain a student with no student card, or a password to a computer/ a computer in general. I hate to say it, but I along with many other university goers have become very dependant on technology (especially in the computing category) so leaving me without is going to make these first few weeks a living hell. I would guess you are wondering how I am typing this up then? Well, I have my ways of getting around any obstacle big and small. This is mere childs play my friend. I will leave it up to your imagination. Maybe I hacked into the computers motherboard, or maybe I am just in that Internet cafe just down the road you decide, after all, you are only limited by the limits of your own imagination right?
Now, I just need to remind anyone who is reading this I did have a point. The good things about university. First, my fellow students. I have met and fallen for almost every single one I met (so far). There are leaders and brilliant minds I can not wait to work with. Not only have I felt inspired by them, but the professors as well. I have yet to meet three out of the four so far but each I can see all have there quirks. Tilby Bittles just lights up the room with stories of all her past experiences. Although, she did loose some points with the class pulling out a surprise spelling bee worth 5% of our marks. Jim Chambers is just a character. My first impression of him was pure intimidation (that could be because I was five minutes late for his class. Oops.), my second was that he was trying a little to hard to make jokes and be 'hip' as the students would call it these days. But my lasting impression is on his intelligence, and the way I feel his class is going to motivate me to try my hardest. And lastly, Mark Lipton. He entered that class and after his opening speech everyone in the class was instantly inspired. This blog I am writing is for his class but I am stressing right now this is not a brown nosing technique. He had a way of making everyone in the class feel as though they were all on the same level. He didn't bring himself down to our level, but he made us feel like we were up at his. I feel intimidated by his intelligence, but the way he speaks, and the freedom he gives us in our assignments makes me want to see how far I can stretch my ideas. My goal in this class is to leave him impressed. Show him how beautiful this young white tulip will grow. Although, at sometimes I am sure he will only be feeding me fertilizer (yeah- I stole that one).In his first Class he warned us that the workload was going to be greater than all three of my other classes combined. The first class we were given an assignment and a book to read. It's been two days and I am halfway done the book (which I love so much, and have already connected some of the things that Neil Postman wrote and Mr. Lipton said in our first class) and my mind has gone completely wild with ideas for my assignment. I just have to sit and organize my thoughts and it will leave peoples jaws dropped. Which is were I am signing off before I give myself away. I am sure my next blog will be about Neil Postmans book, followed by the progress of my very first University assignment. Look out Guelph-Humber, prepare yourselves to be blown away.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
blown away
i am inspired by your drive and your clear and fluid writing. looking forward to reading your other comments. m
Post a Comment